Executive Legal Secretary
Provides varied administrative support/assistance to an office, department or function. Must have legal experience and be well versed in "transactional work"; examples are merger and acquisition paperwork, bond and refinancing, articles of incorporation ;
POSITION PURPOSE: must have legal experience and be well versed in "transactional work"; examples are merger and acquisition paperwork, bond and refinancing, articles of incorporation records.
Provides varied administrative support and assistance to an office, department and/or function in order to support area mission, operations and services in an efficient and effective manner. Organizes, reviews and prioritizes operational activities; researches and responds to information requests; prepares correspondence and specialized documents; oversees and coordinates scheduling activities and performs general office support services. Provides problem solving, works independently, responds to confidential requests and manages administrative detail of special projects. Possesses considerable knowledge of organizational structure, operations, services, goals, and key personnel and provides significant office experience necessary to determine appropriate methods to follow and to deviate from standard course of action in achieving end results. Positions generally report to and receive work assignments from an executive level position.
1. Knows, understands, incorporates and demonstrates the Trinity Health (TH) mission, vision and values of Trinity Health in leadership behaviors, practices and decisions.
2. Oversees, monitors and maintains complex calendaring system. Schedules multiple and conflicting appointments and meetings without prior clearance. Coordinates highly detailed travel and conference arrangements; organizes lodging, logistical services. Prepares and distributes itineraries and related materials.
3. Performs word-processing, typing and editing of correspondence, agendas, memorandums, narrative documents and reports. Prepares and manipulates detailed charts, graphs, tables, and spreadsheets; develops and manages databases.
4. Independently initiates and composes routine and non-routine correspondence for supervisor’s signature. Prepares internal communications regarding own operational area of responsibility (e.g., office equipment, phones, events). May transcribe correspondence and meeting minutes as needed.
5. Reviews, summarizes and prioritizes incoming mail. Prepares outgoing mail and packages for shipment and coordinates shipping, handling and delivery.
6. Serves as a liaison or intermediary to alleviate administrative detail for supervisor and assigned staff; interfaces with internal and external customers, clients and key personnel in the organization. Handles confidential, strategic and sensitive materials and information having either a department or an enterprise-wide impact. Exercises judgment and utilizes discretion in obtaining and exchanging information and communicating supervisor directives to immediate staff, department and organization personnel and external representatives. Keeps immediate supervisor apprised of significant communications and/or issues.
7. Oversees, organizes and monitors office workflow. Prioritizes work assignments and adapts accordingly. Initiates follow-up on pending matters. Responds to information requests and general inquiries and refers to appropriate resource. Resolves day-to-day operational problems.
8. Participates in and assists staff with ad-hoc special projects requiring researching, compiling, analyzing and formatting data for report generation. Establishes, utilizes and maintains database systems. Provides work leadership in meeting established deadlines and in the preparation and distribution of detailed agendas, special documents, presentation packets and informational materials.
9. Maintains expense records and monitors disbursements, reimbursements, requisitions, payroll and department budget information. Orders, monitors and maintains office equipment and supplies. Performs basic mathematical computations and prepares appropriate paperwork, summaries and reports. Responds to requests and resolves problems by contacting appropriate operational area and/or personnel.
10. May provide work leadership and functional guidance to other administrative support staff. Distributes and monitors work assignments. Provides guidance in applying appropriate methods, procedures and solutions and in responding to challenging situations. Resolves problems and respond to unpredictable and sensitive matters in a professional manner.
11. Performs general office functions or oversees others in the completion of routine tasks. Copies, faxes and distributes documents. Sets-up, organizes and maintains manual and computerized file systems.
12. May provide back-up coverage to other administrative support positions, co-workers and/or other team members to ensure continued uninterrupted operations and services.
13. Participates in continued education and training to ensure skills and competencies are current. Keep abreast of changes to internal policies, procedures and processes.
14. Performs related work as assigned.
15. Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, Trinity Health’s Organizational Integrity Program, Standards of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
1. High school graduate with coursework and specialized training in secretarial science and/or business office procedures. Additional coursework in business office methods and practices from a vocational technical institute, business school or community college highly preferred. Undergraduate coursework from an accredited college or university highly preferred.
2. Five to seven year’s progressive secretarial experience and knowledge, preferable within an executive or middle management work environment. Demonstrated ability to adhere to, understand and articulate internal operations, services, goals, project timetables, guidelines and policies.
3. Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft product suite (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Access and Visio); extensive knowledge and experience with electronic mail and calendaring system in PC LAN environment. Ability to type with speed and accuracy.
4. Ability to transcribe with speed and accuracy may be required. Ability to utilize and maintain standard office equipment, e.g., copier, fax, printer, Dictaphone, shredder, phone system, personnel computer, etc.
5. Demonstrated ability to work independently, without formal instruction and to adapt quickly to competing priorities, conflicting deadlines and unexpected assignments. Ability to resolve problems and exercise judgment and initiative in achieving end results and maximizing outcomes. Ability to accomplish assignments accurately and promptly in order to garner credibility, confidence and support.
6. Ability to plan, organize and accomplish assignments in an efficient and effective manner and with a high degree of professionalism. Strong interpersonal and human relations skills to communicate effectively with others internal and external to the organization. Professional telephone etiquette skills.
7. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, using discretion and sound judgment in handling confidential and sensitive information and materials. Ability to compose and edit correspondence utilizing accurate grammatical construction, proofreading and spelling skills.
8. Strong analytical and problem solving skills in order to research, compile and analyze data from multiple sources. Ability to understand and perform mathematical computations in order to process expense reports, monitor disbursements and reimbursements. Ability to utilize internal systems (e.g. Lawson) with ease and accuracy.
9. Ability to work as a customer focused team member and provide work leadership and guidance to others.
10. Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
11. Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, and values of Trinity Health.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
1. Position operates in an office environment. Work area is well-lit, temperature controlled and free from hazards. Incumbent communicates frequently, in person and over the telephone, with people in a number of different locations. Manual dexterity is needed to operate a keyboard. Hearing is needed for telephone and in person communications. Work environment requires the ability to concentrate, meet deadlines, work on several projects at the same time and adapt to interruptions.
2. Ability to concentrate, meet conflicting deadlines, frequent competing priorities and interruptions.
3. Occasional lifting (up to 30lbs), bending, standing and walking.
4. Overtime as assigned.